I have been wearing eyeglasses since I was in first year high school. It was hard to move around wearing glasses especially for physical activities.
I then opted to wear contact lenses when I was in college. I've been using contact lenses for more than 10 years now. I was told that wearing contact lenses for a long time will make your retina or cornea thinner so I alternate contact lenses and eyeglasses from time to time.
It has always been a dream of me that I will no longer wear contact lenses or eyeglasses anymore, and have a 20-20 vision again. With the technology right now, it's already possible. I can opt to have a Lasik laser vision correction surgery.
I did some research, and here are what I found out:
- Lasik can reduce or eliminate the need for glasses or contact lenses.
- Lasik procedure is fast, it usually last for only 5 to 10 minutes
- Lasik vision recovery can be as little as a few hours, but most see well in about a day or two.
- Lasik normally has no pain.
- Like most surgery procedure, Lasik result vary from patient to patient
- Lasik may make dry-eye symptoms worse for some
- In very rare circustances, Lasik can make the vision worse and not correctable with glasses or contact lenses
The cost for Lasik here in the Philippines is Php50,000 to Php80,000 Philippine pesos or about $1,100-$1750.
According to the research, not everyone can undergo Lasik surgery. There are still tests to undergo to know if you are a good candidate for the vision correction.
As for me, I am very much interested to have Lasik done soon. Maybe if I'll be able to save the cost for the procedure. For now, I have to settle for my contact lenses and eyeglasses.
For more information on Lasik, you can visit the following:
General Lasik information and surgery video available at http://www.usaeyes.org/lasik/faq/lasik.htm
Stahl Eye Center